Since the ancient time, human beings are burning wood obtained from the tree in order to gain heat and warmth. You might be thinking that, due to the invention of heating systems by making use of gas and electricity, this trend of burning has died, but in reality it still exists and is being used in different formats. Wood based heating system burns wood logs or chips to generate heat for a single room or to central wood furnace or wood boilers.
A wood furnace and boiler both can provide warmth to your home in cold climate, but their working is different. The warmth created by a furnace is spread through the home by means of a string of fans. This warm air reaches out to different rooms through air ducts. On the other hand, wood boilers create hot water which travels through pipelines in the walls or floors of the house and the hot water radiated heat from the wall or floor surfaces. This heat is called as radiant heat.
If you are thinking about switching from furnace to wood boiler in Australia, then it will be a great move as there are many benefits attached to it. Let’s have a look at them.
- They are energy efficient and environment friendly– Wood boilers have a closed loop system. This means that, when the stream of hot water cools down in the pipes and returns back to the tank for getting heated again. This water is not completely cold, it is still warm. Therefore, it requires lesser amount of energy to heat the water again and turn it back again to pipes than it is required to heat the cold air in the furnace continuously.
Furthermore, new types of boilers have been invented which make use of renewable fuels like wood, pellets of corn, etc. Hence, they are considered as environment friendly and less expensive than it is required to run furnaces in cold countries like Australia.
- Provide uniform and comfortable heating– The heat generated by the boilers is distributed uniformly. This does not happen with furnace. The warm air generated by the furnaces is pushed out through air ducts. Therefore, the areas of the house which is far away from the ducts do not receive the heat and remain colder than the remaining parts of the house. If the hot water pipes attached to wood boilers are installed appropriately in the home, then the heat is distributed evenly throughout entire home.
- Maintain moisture level in the home– Human body requires consistency in the moisture level of the air. As soon as the cold season begins, the homes which make use of wood furnaces get filled with dry air generated from the furnace. The residents of the house suffer from the dry skin. This is not the case with wood boilers. The radiant heat generated by the hot water flowing through the walls and floors does not affect the moisture level as there is no free air blowing out.
- They are quieter– Wood boilers don’t have any fans attached which have to be switched off and on according to requirement. Therefore they do not create any noise like wood furnaces.
- They are cost effective– The installation process of the wood boilers in Australia is quite difficult and expensive and takes long time. However, once installed they need not to be maintained on regular basis. They don’t have any filters which are to be cleaned and changed regularly. The pipes and tank fitted are durable if purchased from reputed manufacturer. Therefore, they prove to be cost effective.
- Other benefits– As the boilers makes your entire home warm, it also delivers warm water through taps and showers. You can make use of it for bathing purpose which saves the energy utilized by water heaters. Additionally, as there is no free flowing of air, there is no chance of allergens or dust particles entering the home as it happens in furnace system. Another benefit is that, wood burning for boilers generated lesser amount of carbon. This is very advantageous for environment.
So, these are the benefits of wood boilers in cold climate area which are making people to get rid of furnaces and install boilers. You can also install one and keep your house warm.